Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year, New Attitude!

Today was a good day. I think it was mostly my attitude! I was feeling like I wasn’t being fun enough, and too strict and rigid, so I decided to be less so!
Today we did quite a bit of fun stuff. We went for a hike, made cinnamon buns, homemade pizza rolls and brownies. She loves pizza rolls, the gross kind you buy in a bag. I told her we won’t be buying those, but we will make our own! So, we did! She loved them more. And they were so much fun to make!!!
She watched Alice In Wonderland and a bit of the Princess Diaries. Now she is a little upset because we are watching the History Chanel’s “How The States Got Their Shapes”. A little education won’t hurt!!!
I think we’re getting used to each other. I’m recognizing when she is testing to see if I’ll yell at her. Today she was doing things with the express purpose of trying to get me upset. So I calmly asked her if she wanted me to get angry with her. She said she did not. I then asked her why she was doing things that may cause me to get angry with her; she shrugs and stops doing it.
Learning new and out of the box ways to deal with her behavior is a challenge. My biggest challenge is trying to figure what behaviors are typical 8 year old behaviors, and which are due to her circumstances. Time and experience are the only things that will help me work these challenges out.
Patience. That is another challenge…Patience!!!

Blessed Be!!

2 comments:

  1. Figuring out what's "typical" is probably the most difficult thing about raising kids. What's typical of one kid, may not be typical of another.

    Naturally, there are behaviors and developments that most kids go through at a certain age, and those are easiest to figure out!

    Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Just remember, there are going to be good days, and there are going to be bad days (or even bad weeks!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment yesterday seems to have disappeared. So here I go again. I think you are doing quite well and have made some good decisions for your new charge. The number one thing, no matter what, is communication. So many little kids get the wrong idea when an adult doesn't explain why things are as there are. Whether it's restrictions, rewards, or just trying to establish a routine, the child should know why. Saying "because I said so", can be kinda lame at times. You are off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete